Friday, March 11, 2011

Renewing Cultural Awareness



"The bubble" if you type this into Urban Dictionary (the most reliable definition resource if you ask me) a plethora of locations pop up, some in California, some in Texas and of course the one that you are all thinking right now, your hometown. The place we all want to escape because until we graduated from high school we lived in a protected area, sheltered from the real world issues. I use to believe this was true as well, but sitting in my sociology class someone referred to where I was going to school as our bubble, my new bubble. I left my old high school bubble to go to college in a different state with different people and different experiences, and this girl was telling me I moved from one bubble to the next? I refuse to believe it.
So then, how do we create all these bubbles? Is it really the society that is sheltering us from information and life experience or is it ourselves? I now live in the ghetto of a large and "up and coming city" and to some people it is a bubble. When I was in high school I never even felt like I lived in a bubble. So what makes others feel that way? I could tell you about the problems in Egypt, or the war on terrorism, I could actively defend all of my political views and talk to you about almost any worldly issue. I'm aware of poverty and hate crimes, and have even seen some, so how could I ever say I live in a bubble.
NEWSFLASH PEOPLE
You create your own bubble, sure cover your ears, but society isn't holding you back, you are and using it as an excuse! There is information everywhere, chances to travel, and no one is telling you where to go to college.
So you don't have to go to China (although that'd be cool) to break out of your bubble just go on the Internet or read the newspaper or talk to someone you normally wouldn't.

Break the bubble! It's the only latex you are going to ever want to break.


No comments:

Post a Comment